TÜV SÜD is a leading provider of comprehensive testing and certification services for all types of consumer products. Our global network of technical experts, combined with our state-of-the-art testing laboratories, assure a single source solution for meeting all applicable requirements, standards and voluntary schemes. And TÜV SÜD technical professionals are actively involved in international advisory boards and standards development activities, ensuring the most up-to-date knowledge of current and changing requirements.
Represented in over 800 locations worldwide, TÜV SÜD has an unsurpassed track record of meeting and exceeding the requirements and expectations of our client companies. The TÜV SÜD brand and our distinctive blue octagon mark are instantly recognised around the globe as symbols of quality and safety, and will increase customer confidence in your brand.
Easily the best known of all energy efficiency programs, the U.S. ENERGY STAR initiative is a voluntary testing and labelling program jointly operated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the U.S. Department of Energy (DoE). Over the past 20 years, products bearing the ENERGY STAR label have reduced energy demand by over 270 kilowatt hours and have saved more than $20 billion in energy costs.
ENERGY STAR recognition is currently available for consumer products in the following categories:
- Home appliances - Including refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, and clothes washers and dryers
- Consumer electronics - Including televisions, set-top boxes and cable equipment, audio/video equipment, computers and monitors, and telephone systems
- Heating and cooling equipment - Including room air conditioners, room air cleaners, dehumidifiers and climate controls
- Lighting and fans - including lamps, luminaires, integral LED lamps, compact fluorescent lamps and ceiling and ventilating fans
Manufacturers seeking ENERGY STAR recognition of their consumer products must have samples of each product tested to the requirements of the applicable ENERGY STAR product specification by an EPA-recognised testing laboratory. The results of product testing are then reviewed and verified by an EPA-recognised certification body, which authorises a manufacturer to apply the ENERGY STAR label to approved products. Many ENERGY STAR-recognised products are also subject to periodic verification testing after approval.
Voluntary programs such as the ENERGY STAR programme and other national implementations based on the ENERGY STAR framework focus attention on the most energy-efficient products in their respective categories, rewarding “best in class” energy performance with broad exposure and instant recognition by buyers. Manufacturers whose products achieve ENERGY STAR recognition clearly differentiate their offerings with procurement specialists, corporate buyers and consumers, providing important advantages in a competitive marketplace.
TÜV SÜD is a recognised testing laboratory and certification body for a comprehensive range of product categories under the U.S. EPA’s ENERGY STAR programme, and an approved testing laboratory under the U.S. Department of Energy’s LED Lighting Facts program. In addition, TÜV SÜD’s global Energy Efficiency Centres of Excellence are equipped to test and certify consumer products to worldwide energy efficiency requirements and standards.
TÜV SÜD’s ENERY STAR services for consumer products include:
- Testing - TÜV SÜD is an EPA-recognised testing laboratory and certification body for ENERGY STAR recognition for all categories of consumer products.
- Documentation - We can review the content of your product documentation and advise of any changes necessary to ensure compliance with ENERGY STAR standards.
- Regulations - TÜV SÜD technical experts keep up-to-date on energy efficiency regulations, standards and programmes worldwide, and participate in a number of key industry groups and trade organisations.
- Other requirements - We can offer support in complying with ENERGY STAR standards in conjunction with other energy efficiency regulations and standards.