The EU Toy Safety Directive 2009/48/EC (Toy Safety Directive) applies to “products designed or intended, whether or not exclusively, for use in play by children under 14 years of age”. Particular safety requirements are detailed in Annex II of the Directive and cover the following safety aspects:
- Physical and mechanical properties, to minimise physical injuries such as cuts, choking, strangulation, or asphyxiation.
- Product flammability, to reduce the risk of burns, fires or explosions.
- Chemical properties, including limits on 19 migratable elements, nitrosamines and nitrosatable substances, a general ban on CMR substances (carcinogenic, mutagenic or toxic to reproduction), and allergenic fragrances.
- Electrical properties, to minimise the risk of electric shock and against fire hazards.
- Hygiene considerations, such as whether a toy can be effectively cleaned to avoid a risk of infection or contamination. A textile should be washable, except if it contains a mechanism that may be damaged after soak washed.
- Radioactivity, to concern health protection from radiation.
The Directive on the Safety of Toys also requires manufacturers to supply consumers with warnings and precautions regarding the safe use of toys. These warnings are dependent on the specific function of the toy, and are detailed in Annex V of the Directive.
Manufacturers whose toys have been declared to meet the safety requirements detailed in the Directive should bear the CE Mark to the toy, to an affixed label or to the packaging, as an indication of conformity with the Directive.
Compliance with the requirements of the Toy Safety Directive is mandatory for all toys imported, marketed or sold in the EU. Products bearing the CE Mark are presumed compliant with the requirements of the Toy Safety Directive as well as the requirements of all other applicable new approach directives, thereby assuring legal access to all EU member states.
TÜV SÜD is an EU Notified Body authorised to evaluate consumer products for compliance with the requirements of most EU directives and regulations. We offer a complete range of testing, certification, auditing and advisory services on regulations and standards applicable to toys and other children’s products. Our global network of accredited laboratories can test your products to the requirements of the EU Toy Safety Directive, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Protection Act (CPSIA), and other national and international regulations and standards. The TÜV SÜD blue octagon certification mark is globally recognised as a symbol of product safety.
TÜV SÜD’s services for the Toy Safety Directive include:
- Testing - TÜV SÜD is equipped to conduct testing and evaluation consistent with the requirements of the Toy Safety Directive.
- Documentation - We can review the content of your product documentation and advise of any changes necessary to ensure compliance with the Directive’s safety requirements.
- Regulations - TÜV SÜD technical experts keep up-to-date on worldwide regulations and standards applicable to toy safety, and participate in a number of key industry groups and trade organisations.
- Other requirements - We can offer support in complying with the requirements of the Toy Safety Directive in conjunction with other safety regulations and standards applicable to toys.
TÜV SÜD is a leading provider of comprehensive testing and certification services for all types of consumer products. Our global network of technical experts, combined with our state-of-the-art testing laboratories, assure a single source solution for meeting all applicable requirements, standards and voluntary schemes. TÜV SÜD technical professionals are actively involved in international advisory boards and standards development activities, ensuring the most up-to-date knowledge of current and changing requirements.
Represented in over 800 locations worldwide, TÜV SÜD has an unsurpassed track record of meeting and exceeding the requirements and expectations of our client companies. The TÜV SÜD brand and our distinctive blue octagon mark are instantly recognised around the globe as symbols of quality and safety, and will increase customer confidence in your brand.