The European Union’s (EU’s) Low Voltage Directive ensures that electrical equipment within certain voltage limits includes protections against electric shock and other electrical hazards.
The Directive covers all electrical equipment operating with electrical input or output voltages between 50 and 1000 V for alternating current, and voltages between 75 and 1500 V for direct current. For electrical equipment that falls within those limits, the Low Voltage Directive addresses all applicable health and safety risks, thereby ensuring that such equipment is safe for its intended use.
Like most other EU directives, the Low Voltage Directive sets out broad objectives for electrical safety (“essential requirements”), with detailed technical specifications set out in published technical standards that are incorporated by reference. Manufacturers whose products are tested for compliance with the essential requirements of the Directive and the technical specifications detailed in relevant standards issue a Declaration of Conformity as documentary evidence of compliance and can apply the CE Mark to their products.
Certain categories of electrical equipment, such as medical devices, are excluded from the scope of the Low Voltage Directive, as are electrical components used in finished products.
A new edition of the Low Voltage Directive (2014/35/EU) was published in 2014, and will be mandatory for electrical products beginning in April 2016. TÜV SÜD can already issue test reports according to the new regulation 2014/35/EU.
Compliance with the requirements of the EU’s Low Voltage Directive is mandatory for all electrical products imported, marketed or sold in the EU. Products bearing the CE Mark are presumed compliant with the requirements of the Low Voltage Directive as well as the requirements of all other applicable directives (the EMC Directive, for example), thereby assuring legal access to all EU member states.
TÜV SÜD is an EU Notified Body authorised to evaluate consumer products for compliance with the requirements of the EU’s Low Voltage Directive. We offer a range of services to assist consumer product manufacturers and their agents to gain access to the EU marketplace, including:
- Interpretations of the requirements of EU directives
- Advice on which EU directives are applicable to your product
- Electrical safety testing assessments and report
- Notified Body opinions and reports
- Advice on Declarations of Conformity and the application of CE marking to your product
In addition, our pre-certification safety compliance assessment service includes a thorough review of the following aspects of your product:
- Product construction - including general construction and assembly, protective earthing connections, electrical, mechanical and fire enclosure requirements, and marking and labelling
- Protection against electric shock - such as isolation barriers and creepage and clearance distances
- Documentation review -including safety critical components, flammability ratings for plastics and other materials, and user, installation and service instructions
We can conduct electrical safety testing and assessments in our fully accredited laboratories or at your own site (testing at manufacturer’s premises, or TMP).
TÜV SÜD’s CE marking services for the EU’s Low Voltage Directive include:
- Testing - TÜV SÜD is an EU Notified Body for the Low Voltage Directive, and is accredited for electrical safety testing under the IECEE’s CB scheme.
- Documentation -We can review the content of your product documentation and advise of any changes necessary to ensure compliance with the requirements of the Low Voltage Directive.
- Regulations - TÜV SÜD technical experts keep up-to-date on electrical safety regulations and standards worldwide, and participate in a number of key industry groups and trade organisations.
- Other Requirements -We can offer support in complying with the requirements of the Low Voltage Directive in conjunction with other electrical safety regulations and standards.
TÜV SÜD is a leading provider of comprehensive testing and certification services for all types of products. Our global network of technical experts, combined with our state-of-the-art testing laboratories, assure a single source solution for meeting all applicable requirements, standards and voluntary schemes. And TÜV SÜD technical professionals are actively involved in international advisory boards and standards development activities, ensuring the most up-to-date knowledge of current and changing requirements.
Represented in over 800 locations worldwide, TÜV SÜD has an unsurpassed track record of meeting and exceeding the requirements and expectations of our client companies. The TÜV SÜD brand and our distinctive blue octagon mark are instantly recognised around the globe as symbols of quality and safety, and will increase customer confidence in your brand.